A Glossary of Window Treatment Terms

Marilyn's Window & Interiors | | Categories: BEDDING , BLINDS / SHUTTERS , DRAPES , HOME ACCENTS , VALANCES , Window Treatments


Every industry has its own language and terms. These words and phrases can be confusing to anyone who is not part of the daily operations of a specific industry, and the window treatment business is no exception.

To help you understand the terms, acronyms, and phrases regularly used when purchasing window treatment, Marilyn’s Windows & Interiors has created this handy reference guide. Here you’ll find valuable information allowing you to comprehend and communicate your window treatment needs effectively.

Swags and Jabots.

These are names for a valance that uses a draping fabric folded to form pleats and a scallop shape on the bottom. A jabot is the sides of a swag treatment which uses fabric folded in a zigzag fashion usually hanging lower than the swag.


It is a small amount of fabric that lies on the floor for panel drapes as opposed to half an inch from the floor which is standard.

Decorative Rod.

The decorative rod is designed to show as part of the overall window treatment. It can be either wood or metal, and it comes in various finishes.

Euro Hem.

It is a weighted bottom sewn hem that is mostly used for sheers.

Traverse Rod.

The traverse rod has a pulley system which makes it much easier to open and close panels. The rod is available with decorative options.


Tiebacks can be made in many different styles, and are mainly designed to hold draperies back from the window in a decorative way.

Stack Back.

It refers to the amount of space taken up by draperies when they are in an open position.


Fullness is extra fabric included in the finished width of a drapery treatment to give volume and dimension.

Drapery Heading.

It refers to different types of drapery tops. Headings can be grommets, rod pockets, goblet pleats, regular pinch pleats, top pleats, or inverted pleats.


The lining refers to the back part of a window treatment. It can be light filtering or blackout. It protects the fabric of your drapes and adds light control to the room.


The puddle is a large amount of extra fabric that lies on the floor.


It is insulating padding of fabric sewn between the front fabric and the lining.

Panel Track.

It refers to a window treatment that is made up of fabric panels that slide back and forth on a sliding track. The panels are usually eighteen to thirty inches wide and have a weight bar sewn into the bottom for extra stability. The slider can be manual or motorized.


It refers to the distance between one complete pattern and the beginning of the next identical pattern on a bolt of fabric. Repeats can be both horizontal and vertical.


It refers to the distance from the front of the rod or board to the wall.

If you’re looking for custom window treatment design solutions in Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, reach out to Marilyn’s Windows & Interiors. For over nineteen years, we have been providing our clients premium-quality blinds, shutters, and fine hardware to design dream homes and fulfill your unique expectations. Our gifted team of sewers and designers expertly create custom curtains, drapes, roman blinds, shades, and home beddings and accents from the finest quality materials and accessories to fit your style and preferences perfectly.

View our full list of services here, or get in touch with us here to learn more about what we do.